Monday, October 25, 2010

Southwestern Turkey Soup



This is probably my all-time favorite soup. I found the recipe a year or two ago in a Taste of Home magazine. The picture doesn't do it justice--yeah, I'm not a photographer. I'll give you the original recipe and also write the alterations I make. It's really versatile, so you can do whatever you want with it.

1 medium onion, chopped
1 T. olive oil
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth (I use water and chicken bouillion)
2-3 T. diced jalapeno pepper (I omit this since I have small kids and I don't do spicy very well)
3 tsp. ground cumin (LOVE this spice!)
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (I just do a dash or two)
3 cups cubed cooked turkey
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained (I also add an extra can of beans, usually pinto or kidney)
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (I just use a can of diced tomatoes and a can of chilies and tonight I chopped up a fresh tomato and threw it in)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn

Sour cream, coarsely crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced ripe olives, optional--it's good with or without this stuff

*I also add about half a bell pepper and some garlic and fry it up with the onion*

In a large saucepan, saute onion (and peppers and garlic, if desired) in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Add the turkey, beans, tomatoes and corn. I have to add a bit of extra water since I put extra beans in. Just make sure you add a little extra salt, too.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese and olives if desired. Yield: 7 servings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment