Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Well here is my first post! I hope it doesn't disappoint! My husband and I have been trying to do the whole diet thing, but I am a sugarholic & can't live without it! So when I found this low-fat, low calorie recipe, I had to try it!

3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
2 cans (12 oz. each) fat-free evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz.) fat-free sweetended condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping

1. Place the strawberries in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add evaporated milk and condensed milk, vanilla and pureed strawberries; mix well. Fold in whipped topping.

2. The original recipe says to fill your ice cream maker two thirds full & refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. But all of my mixture fit in my maker with a lot of room to spare so I just did it all at once. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in your refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.

I did not use fat-free sweetened condensed milk because I couldn't find any (does it really exist?). So my version has a few more calories than the original which was 234 calories for 3/4 cup. I poured my ice cream into a large tupperware container & freezed it in my freezer. I tried it before I stuck it in the freezer, it tasted like a really thick smoothie. It was really yummy, but it was even better frozen! It reminded me a little bit of frozen yogurt. My boys gobbled it up & begged for more. I didn't even feel guilty giving them an extra scoop, and I didn't feel too guilty taking one myself!

2 comments:

  1. I made some (full-fat :) strawberry cheesecake ice cream last summer and it was really good! My only thing is that I love homemade ice cream right after it's made, but not so much after it's frozen in the freezer. Do you know how to get it so it's not so grainy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe didn't seem grainy to me at all after I froze it in my freezer. I even liked it better after it was frozen than before I froze it. Maybe it's just the different types of recipes? I don't make homemade ice cream very often so I can't compare.

    ReplyDelete