Chicken Pot Pie
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas (optional – I don’t like peas, so I leave them out)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups (one can)
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (I like the premade Albertson's brand)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, cook onions in butter over medium heat until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place the chicken mixture in .
5. Pour hot liquid mixture over chicken.
6. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. I always use a pie shield to cover the edges of the crust so that they don’t get too brown.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I can't believe I forgot to take a "finished" picture after it came out of the oven. My husband and his sister pounced and I was distracted by the kids. LOL